12 July 2010

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION 1, KAREN 0


Some days the battle is not to be won, just fought.

While sitting at my desk I began to get this tingling sensation at the top of my shoulders, which I attributed to nothing. Soon I was agitated enough that a visit to the restroom was in order. I soon returned to my desk. I soon returned to the restroom. I returned to my desk. I returned to the restroom. I chose to sit a round out. I sat in a cushioned chair located in front of the windows at the entrance to our portion of the building. I sat for a while and then returned to the restroom. I sat for a while longer, in the chair and in the restroom.

Ok. Think about what has happened. Why are you feeling panicked? You were calmly working at your desk when a tingling began in your shoulders. Then what? Then I thought, uhoh--DO NOT HAVE A PANIC ATTACK RIGHT NOW. You see, you brought it on yourself. No, I was minding my own business when I was bushwhacked from behind! But you gave in to the enemy. No, I responded to the enemy. Ok. Just go back to your desk and return to what you were doing. Afterall, there couldn't be much left in the intestines after so many trips to the "restroom'.

So I returned to my desk. I sat and tried to pick up where I left off. I am working on the annual report. No. I need to use the restroom and I need to go now or I won't make it on time. (another trip to the throne) This time, when I return to my desk I will stay. No. I can't stay. I''ve got to get outta here!

So I left. Couldn't find a bus stop because of all the construction on North Temple. But if I walk to Redwood Road, I know where the stop is there and I can catch any bus. It was a long walk. Walking stimulates the bowel. I feel feverish, headachey, nauseous. I can't believe I am doing this again. Here comes the bus. Finally!

The bus takes me to second west, where I need to catch an Express bus. I hop on the Express and discover there is only one other person and me. This is good. I've used a couple of Xanax so if it will just be quiet on the ride, I will make it home.

At the next stop, three elderly gentlemen boarded. One with a large, rolling bag. With all the empty seats on that bus, he wanted to sit with me! That is not right! That thought triggers me again. I gave the man the whole seat and moved behind him. "oh, you don't need to leave." he said. I assured him it was fine as he had the large bag. Good grief it wasn't like there weren't any seats!

The bus moved toward the church office building and more of these merry gentlement began to board. I am going to pass out or throw up before I pass out! I push my way out, onto the sidewalk. MORE of these men in suits! They are everywhere and smiling! I begin to walk toward the North visitor's center at temple square. But walking stimulates the bowel. I make it to a flower bed and sit. I am shaking now. But my under garments are still clean! I call the OSM one at work and ask him to come get me. "where are you at?"

"I am at the North Visitors Center at temple square in Salt Lake."

I make it into the restroom, just in the nick of time. I remain in the restroom, trying to relax. As I start to cool down, I decide it may be safe to leave. I move to a standing position and my movement causes...the toilet to flush. Haven't I done this before?

I move to a sofa placed outside the restrooms. I am asked if I need help. Am I alright? "oh yes, I am just waiting for my husband." I call him but he is only at point of the mountain. Another half hour before he gets here. I move to another sofa in the open area. I do not stay long and then move to another sofa tucked away from traffic and people and languages! Brian finally arrives and I meet him at the street. I just want to go home. I fall asleep before we get there. I sleep the rest of the day. I sleep all the next day and through the night. Then I got up, caught the bus, and went back to my desk to finish what I had left behind.

Game time: 2 hours+
Public Transportation 1, Karen 0

No comments:

Post a Comment