18 January 2010

A REAL DISABILITY

Attitudes are the REAL DISABILITY

2009 was a very long year for me. too many trips into emergency rooms for myself and other family members. My workmate completely went berserk on power and reminded me that it is my turn to be on the bottom of the totem pole. My annual report had so many mistakes in it I'm surprised I wasn't fired clear back then! It seemed to me that the change to a 4-10 work week was wrecking my ability to function. It wasn't helping that my own issues were exacerbated by my dad's health. I asked my supervisor if I could telecommute one day a week. Prior to the 4-10 change I was allowed one day to work from home, but when the state changed the work hours, our office discontinued the telecommute option.

I was really struggling with panic and the insomnia caused by my medications. We changed medications which was a huge mistake! (one of those visits into the ER) We also altered the amount of Xanax I'm allowed to use (up to 5gm a day). And I returned to Dr. Dan for refresher coping skills.I spoke to my supervisor about requesting telecommute and he spoke with HR. The word from HR was that if I felt I needed to telecommute and that it was because of a medical condition, I would need to go through the ADA and ask for an accomodation.

This was not something I wanted to do--I have been able to accomplish my jobs without creating much of a distraction and I wasn't sure I wanted to be labeled with a disability. But in July I made the decision that I was going to need help. It has taken since then for the HR monarchy to determine whether I actually qualify for an accomodation through the ADA and what type of accomodation they were willing to provide.

It was determined I qualify for a 1 hour leeway in start or end time, but not both. I should use FMLA for times when I am unable to work due to insomnia or panic. I should take more frequent breaks. I was reminded however that I was expected to complete my work in a 4 day work week, working 10 hours a day. And since my office already allows for telecommuting on a limited basis--during special projects--I should take advantage of that.

OK. 1. doesn't everyone have the ability to take FMLA for medical conditions or use sick hours? 1. If I use a 1 hour leeway, when am I going to make it up if I am required to continue working 10 hour days/4 days a week. and 3. What happened to qualifying for telecommute time as an accomodation? Our special projects are the audit which is from December through May. I am allowed to telecommute during that time, but once the audit is over--no more telecommute! I think it is nuts and am going to seek further accomodation. I think my time in this job is quickly becoming too much. And the stupid state budget may require our office to lose at least one and possible two more workers. CRAZY! I feel like I am being forced out!

No comments:

Post a Comment