11 January 2010

KAREN 1, JERK 0


A huge snow storm was expected so I chose to drive myself to work believing that I would just leave early and beat the nasty traffic. Unfortunately, I was unable to do so and ended up on the freeway; along with all the other southbound commuters.

The freeway was very slushy, with a lot of ice. Snow was still adding to visibility issues and overall horrible driving conditions. Traffic was crawling along at about 20 mph. I was very nervous and could feel the jitters through my legs and arms. Often, I would remind myself to take a deep, rib-cage breath.

More and more vehicles joined the commute and the evening turned dark with additional ice buildup on the freeway. What are the odds? I could hear Dr. D's questions in my mind. Well, the odds that I might be in an accident or injured are the same as every other person traveling this road tonight.


The internal Dr. D would speak again, "...and if you are in an accident then..." hmmm. Well, I would turn on my flashers if I am alert. I will move to the side of the road if possible. I would stay in my vehicle until help arrived. I had my plan in place and reminded myself to take another deep-into-the-stomach breath. Eeew, those burning sensations were traveling through my back and down my arms...but now is not the time to give in, I need to get home. In order to do that, I need to travel slowly and consistently forward.

I noticed a light blue sedan in the lane to my left signaling to move into my lane. I left enough room for them to do so and the car continued to edge its nose into the lane to my right. But no one allowed the driver into the lane! I thought this driver was going to hit a vehicle in that outside lane; as they were being so agressive about getting into the lane. All of a sudden, the sedan came to a complete stop with no lights! I tried to move out of the lane but the sedan actually slid backward and kissed my bumper. Yea, what are the odds?

We both remained in our vehicles, I with my emergency flashers operating and the sedan dark as night. I phoned 911 and was informed the highway patrol was on their way. I then sent a text to Meredeth's phone since she is always listening for texts. I let her know "I was in an accident. I was fine. Just waiting for police to arrive." I also happened to catch the traffic report. Apparently I was the accident, southbound at 53rd! I was on the radio! COOOL!~

In the meantime, a kind but careless good samaritan stopped her vehicle in the outside lane, got out of her vehicle, and tried to assess the situation. She wanted me to help push the other vehicle out of the way! I could not believe this woman! When I shared the story with my daughters, I described the woman as a typical rodeo looking lady. They laughed about how that indicated frizzy hair and masculine clothing (boots and coat). When the lady finally asked me to put down my window, she suggested that I just move into the other lane or we could push the car out of the way together. I stared at the woman and stuttered. Cars were now trying to go around me to the left AND around her car to the right! I told her that highway patrol were on their way to help provide traffic control and she was in extreme danger by even getting out of her vehicle!  She thought I was an idiot. But I had the plan! I made the plan ! And I was going to stick to the plan!

The highway patrol arrived just minutes after the brain-dead samaritan went on her way. The officer checked for damage which did not exist. I explained that the front car just lost power and slid backward into me. I told the officer the other vehicle appeared to be without power and they would need help. The officer held traffic for me and allowed me to leave the area. The other vehicle needed to be towed off the freeway.

I remained jittery, sometimes more than jittery; especially traveling around point of the mountain. The freeway had become a sheet of ice. At that point, I moved my vehicle into 4 X 4  drive. After traveling about 5-10 mph around the mountain, and down the southern side, the roads were suddenly dry! Yes! Finally! Normal freeway speed!

I arrived at home much later than I expected to. I found everyone in front of the TV watching a Jazz game. "Did you get my text?" I asked.

"No, what text?"

Well! it isn't important NOW!

Two days later a woman was killed when she stopped to help at an accident on the slushy freeway. Another car lost control approaching and pinned the woman between the cement barrier and the already disabled car. I bet that wasn't her plan when she got out of her vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment